Food Pantry Volunteer
Volunteer in the food pantry, click here.
Each Tuesday the East Madison Community Center operates a choice style pantry for low-income residents of Dane County. On the 4th Tuesday of each month clothing, personal care, and household items are also distributed.
Volunteer roles include sorting donations, organizing food items, light cleaning, welcoming clients, and assisting them with their selections. Volunteers are also needed to unload food from our trucks and set up a choice style pantry for families to visit.
Volunteers must be able to lift at least 10 pounds. All children must be accompanied by responsible adults.
Community Garden Volunteer
Each Wednesday afternoon from June – October the East Madison Community Center host individuals and/or volunteer groups to assist in the garden between the hours of 1-6 pm. A two-hour time commitment is required.Volunteer roles include:
- laying mulch
- turning compost
- harvesting produce and/or prepping garden for spring and fall cleanups
Volunteers must be able to lift at least 10 pounds. All children must be accompanied by responsible adults. Please wear appropriate clothing and footwear (close-toed shoes) for varying weather conditions. Sunscreen and bug repellent should be used if needed.
After School Tutor/Mentor Volunteer
The EMCC provides after school programming for students ages 6–18 each day during the academic school year. Volunteers are needed to assist with programming between the hours of 4–6 pm Monday–Friday.
Volunteer roles include:
- Assist with planning and programs, and supervision of youth programs and activities. Active involvement with these activities is essential.
- Help safeguard the health and welfare of youth in Center programs.
- Serve as a positive role model for youth. Conduct should be respectful, and emphasize appropriate positive values.
- Assist in upkeep of the Center. Oversee all clean up and encourage youth to clean up after themselves.
Volunteers must undergo a background check and volunteer orientation.
Volunteer Front Desk Assistant
Welcome visitors and answer incoming calls. Provide outstanding customer service to all clients, visitors, staff, and volunteers. Respond to inquiries by providing information and directing visitors to appropriate resources. Volunteers should be familiar with Microsoft Word and basic computer operations. Currently, we could use volunteers to assist with the following:
- Preparation of mailings and thank-you letters
- Filing, copying and other routine office tasks
- Data Entry
- Answering phone calls and directing to appropriate staff member